Sunday, December 27, 2015

Christmas 2015

Christmas 2015 was fast and furious and I can't believe it is already over!  We traveled to see my family the weekend before Christmas and then spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in Austin with Austin's family.  We managed to celebrate a little bit here at home, too.


One of my favorite Christmas traditions is adding an Old World Christmas ornament to our tree each year.  This year we decided on a gondola to commemorate our first ski trip together earlier this year.  





Wrapping gifts is almost as much fun to me as giving them.  Since our tree was mainly blues and greens, Austin insisted on a little bit of red in our wrapping... the boys got red plaid ribbon and the girls got my pick of gold and pine cones.  


Blue and green are my favorite colors and are pretty much the only colors in our house, so I decided this year I wanted our tree to be filled with blues, greens, and neutrals.  I loved it.  Austin is begging me for more red next year...


When Christmas cards started rolling in, I decided to use mini clothespins and gold ribbon to display them on our pantry door.  The ribbon quickly filled up, and I quickly ran out of mini clothespins - washi tape to the rescue.  This door was such a merry sight all December!


Our trip to my parents' house was super quick, but we managed to fit in three delicious meals, an afternoon of present opening, and one game of Catan.  Mom's decorations were stunning as usual, and our celebration there got Christmas week off to the best start.

Our pretty cross-stitched stockings. 

 Mom and Dad sent us these adorable "kissing balls" this year - we hung ours in a doorway, but I loved Mom's hanging from her dining room chandelier. 

 Dad's smoked pork tenderloin with apple onion chutney, roasted potatoes, cheddar biscuits, and salad with homemade blue cheese dressing



My favorite gingerbread cookies, Mom's fun drink station, and cherry pie with a very festive crust.

These cookies are as photogenic as they are delicious.  
And the leftovers are all tucked safely away in my freezer :)




MK's perfect gift for Mel - a Riley portrait! 

Riley's festive garb was out in full force. 

 
  
On Christmas Eve, we headed south and started our festivities in Austin with a Christmas Eve service.  I got one good picture outside the church, and then barely picked up my camera for the rest of our visit there.  I will be picking it up more soon though, thanks to a new lens from my in-laws!!  


More good food and family time followed, and we loved getting to see so many friends and family.  We had a lively game of white elephant on Christmas Eve with extended family, a fun Christmas morning unwrapping gifts and eating two tasty breakfasts, and more family time on Saturday.  We also squeezed in a breakfast date with our favorite Austin friends, Billy and Carly, on Saturday morning.  Thankfully, we made it back to Dallas safely Saturday evening despite the horrible tornadoes and storms that ripped through DFW.  We're staying warm and dry and taking down our decorations this afternoon.  I love a clean house to start the new year!       


2 comments:

  1. Love your ornaments - especially the pineapple and love that y'all have the tradition of adding a new one every year. Your presents are wrapped beautifully and it sounds like y'all had the perfect quick trip to your parents house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! Why are your presents so cute?! And I love your ornaments! I hope you had a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete