Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Weekend Wedding in the Mississippi Delta

We are back in Dallas after a whirlwind trip to Greenville, MS for Austin’s cousin’s wedding this weekend.  I originally wrote this post on Monday morning, but I've had some technical difficulties with Windows Live Writer, so I'm resorting to Blogger, which I am generally not a fan of for drafting my posts.

The wedding was beautiful, and we both found ourselves saying over and over how nice it was to get out of Dallas for the weekend and spend a few days in a place with a little bit slower pace. 

We drove to Ruston Friday night after work and spent the night with my grandparents, Mammo and Pop.  Mammo fixed us some snacks and we stayed up and visited with them until almost midnight – the latest hour I’ve seen on a Friday night in a while!  Mammo loaded us up with delicious pecan pie muffins and fruit for our Saturday morning drive the rest of the way to Greenville.


The drive on Saturday morning was so peaceful – field after field of all kinds of crops, two lane roads, and some tiny northeast Louisiana towns.  Very different than our day-to-day drives in DFW!  We were also overjoyed to see some sunshine and fluffy white clouds after weeks and weeks of nothing but rain.


We made it to Greenville, which is where my in-laws met and went to high school.  Suann grew up in Greenville, and Buddy moved there in high school.  Buddy took Austin and I on a drive around town and showed us their old houses and their school.  It was so fun hearing some stories from their high school days! 

Suann and Casey had been helping decorate at the reception venue Saturday morning, and we picked them up after our tour for lunch.  Lunch was just down the road in Leland, MS at Fratesi’s, which is a gas station, bait shop, and restaurant all in one.  It was both hilarious and delicious!  Seriously some of the best chicken salad I’ve ever had.  And the place was packed!  I think the entire town of Leland must eat lunch there on Saturdays.


After our lunch adventure, it was time to get ready for the wedding!  The ceremony was at First Baptist Church in Leland, and the reception was at the Thompson house, which was just beautiful.




We got to catch up with lots of Austin’s cousins, aunts, uncles, and other family members, so that was a treat!  I didn’t take a lot of pictures at the reception, but we had a ball eating, dancing, and visiting.

On Sunday we headed out bright and early to make the drive back to Dallas.  We stopped in Ruston on the way home to pop into Parish Press, a newish coffee shop that we hadn’t gotten the chance to try yet.  Our coffee was delicious, and we also picked up a mug and some local coffee to try in our French Press. 



We stopped at my beloved Newk’s in Shreveport for lunch and had a pretty uneventful trip home.  We will be headed back to Mississippi later this month for my cousin’s wedding, and I can’t wait.  Two Mississippi trips in one summer is quite a treat!

4 comments:

  1. My neck of the woods!!! ;). You are totally right about the gorgeous drives in Mississippi...and no cell service means soaking it in with no distractions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun weekend! That reception venue looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun weekend! I love your dress from the wedding! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun weekend. Love your dress! And now I want a big iced coffee!!

    ReplyDelete