Monday, March 16, 2015

Birthday Weekending

I had a great weekend celebrating my birthday with three of my favorite people – Austin of course, and my parents came up to Dallas on Friday night to spend the weekend with us!  I’m running short on time to blog this morning, so I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.  All in all, I felt very loved, got a lot of phone calls, text messages, and cards from sweet friends and family, and got to do everything I wanted to do on Saturday. 

We started Saturday with brunch at Whiskey Cake.  We had a great time and ate a ton – appetizers of biscuits and gravy and fried green tomatoes, French press coffee, lemon poppy-seed pancakes with a blueberry compote, and even a whiskey cake (with a candle!) to share for dessert.

28th Birthday Weekend  IMG_5168

After brunch, we made our way to Lowe’s and loaded up on plants for our new planter by the front door.  We got everything planted, and I’m loving it.  Of course I can’t wait for everything to grow in a bit, and I think I may pop a few more caladiums in here and there, but I’m thrilled not to have an empty planter sitting there any more!

28th Birthday Weekend3

On Saturday afternoon, Mom and I put together some new springy centerpieces for our Sunday School classroom.  There are definite perks to having a mom who is a teacher and has unlimited access to the greatness that is a die-cut machine!  I think these would be so cute at a springtime baby shower as well.  My favorite touch is the fun paper straws we used as stems. 

IMG_5180 IMG_5177

While I love our paper flowers we made, I also love the white tulips I treated myself to for birthday weekend.  The perfect neutral touch of spring.  And you’ll see the adorable small boxwood wreath that my sister Melanie gave me for my birthday… I cannot really express how much I love it hanging by my kitchen window! 

IMG_5209

28th Birthday Weekend5

All four of us went on a nice long walk on Saturday afternoon (very necessary after our huge brunch!) and then came back home to fix supper.  We had penne with lots of spring veggies, some delicious salmon, and my favorite strawberry cupcakes for dessert.  One of my favorite light, springtime suppers!  And I got to use the gorgeous napkins that were a birthday gift from my parents. 

28th Birthday Weekend2

28th Birthday Weekend4 IMG_5195

We rounded out the weekend with church on Sunday, a delightful Sunday afternoon nap, and supper with our friends Jaime and Emily.  Emily fixed the most delicious Greek chicken recipe that I am putting into our dinner rotation immediately, and we watched the first episode of Downton Abbey season 5.  It was such a good weekend, and I’m sad to see it end, but I’m excited for the week ahead because our ski trip is just around the corner! 

weekending

Linking up with Biana and Meghan today for their wonderful Monday linkup.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great birthday weekend!! Love your new wreath and napkins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday! Glad you had a wonderful weekend! Those tulips are swoon worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had such a great birthday weekend! Will you be posting that Greek chicken recipe? Love the planter and your boxwood wreath, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, love keep up with your family on your blog. Your paper flower decorations caught my eye. I am looking for paper decor that can be packed in a suitcase and transported via airplane that can easily be assembled on arrival and still look cute! I know a lot right, I have two questions, one, have the paper straws held the flowers up and two, did you add anything to the flower pots other than the paper filler such as foam. Thanks for the ideas and give your mom my best. Gay

    ReplyDelete