Monday, January 12, 2015

Weekend With my Favorites in Dallas

When we were all at home for Christmas, my mom and sisters and I hatched a plan for them to visit me in Dallas in January.  My mom has seen the new house, but neither sister had been to visit us since we moved.  All week long I was counting the minutes until Friday afternoon when they arrived!  It was so fun to give them a tour of our new house and to have them here for the weekend.

I left work a little early on Friday and came home to get our white chicken chili on the stove for supper (this recipe from Peanut Butter Runner is my favorite).  We stayed in, stayed warm, and had a really fun time catching up on Friday evening.  I picked up some of my favorite treats from Trader Joe’s on Friday before coming home – eucalyptus (the best smell and the best color!), tulips, cheese and crackers, and dark chocolate covered caramels.  I need to figure out how to grow eucalyptus in my yard so I can have an endless supply.  That would just be the best!

House

While we were bundled up at home this weekend, we had so much fun talking about Mary Katherine’s new blog –> Mary K Every Day.  Austin and I have joked since August when MK started college that we wished she would just wear a Go Pro all day every day so we could follow along on her fun college adventures in Aggieland.  I think a blog is pretty much the next best thing! 

We even put the wheels in motion for Melanie to start a blog to document her baking adventures.  Melanie had quite the cupcake business in high school and has recently moved to The Woodlands and is wanting to get back into baking and hone her cookie decorating skills a bit.  I’ll be sure to feature her blog here when it is up and running.

On Saturday morning, my mom and I headed out to one of my favorite fabric stores to search for fabric for a window treatment in our living room and for some various projects in one of the guest rooms.  We were not able to find exactly what I was hoping to find for the living room, but we got some fabric for Mom to whip up two dust ruffles for a guest room where we have two twin beds.  Does anyone have a good online source for fabric?  I’m so sad my local store failed me this weekend, but they just didn’t have anything that came close to the blue and off white buffalo check that I have my heart set on for the living room.

IMG_4869

IMG_4870

We swung back by the house to pick up Melanie and Mary Katherine, and then we had lunch at Rise, which was such a treat.  It is one of my favorite dining atmospheres in Dallas.  We shared an artichoke appetizer, a delicious creamed spinach soufflé, a soufflé with crab and some other things I can’t remember, and a divine pecan praline dessert soufflé.    

Mom, Mel & MK in Dallas

The plates, the napkins, the glassware, the decor, the bread… everything is pure perfection at this place. 

Mom, Mel & MK in Dallas1   IMG_4872

On Saturday afternoon, we ventured up to McKinney and scoped out some of the cute stores on the square.  I picked up a cozy houndstooth jacket from West & Lou that I will definitely be sporting to work this week.  Saturday night we had cheese and crackers for dinner (my idea of a perfect meal), and I made it until 9:00 before falling asleep (so pitiful, I know).  Sunday morning we braved the cold for church and for a quick picture on our way out the door.  Mom and the girls left straight from church, and I was sad as always to see them off.   

IMG_4877

Linking up with Biana and Meghan on a cold blustery Monday in Dallas.  Hoping for a warm and productive week ahead!  

weekending

6 comments:

  1. What a fun girls weekend!! The food looked incredible, I'm drooling over here right now LOL! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun!! What a beautiful family you have!! I never had sisters growing up (lucky to have SILs now), but I love the bond you get with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girls weekends are always the best. Looks like y'all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun girls weekend! I need to plan one of those! P.S all that food looks YUM!

    Would love for you linkup this post on my Weekend Recap too :) XO

    -Lisa @ Showered With Design

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love sister/mom bonding time! those memories are priceless. :) oh, I just wanted to say, you ladies are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That food looks amazing and I also love tulips. They are just so happy!

    ReplyDelete