Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Blogger Bookworms: The One & Only (Part 2)

Welcome back for round 2!

BloggerBookwormsIcon

Just to refresh your memory, we read Emily Giffin’s The One & Only, and today we are answering the below questions about the book.  Here we go!

The One & Only

1.  What was your overall opinion of the book?  Did you love it, hate it, kind of enjoy it?

I had pretty high expectations for this book, and I’m sad to say that it really did not meet them.  I expected to love it, but I just didn’t.  Although it was a quick read for me, I was a little disappointed overall in the story itself. 

2. Who was your favorite character in the book, and why did you identify with them?

Well I really wanted to meet Mrs. Carr after reading this book.  Everything that was said about her sounded like she was a wonderful and classy lady.  I think in some ways she reminded me of my own mom.  I don’t know that I identified with Lucy, per se, but I was far more intrigued by her character than the main character, Shea.  I will say that I really wanted to go shop at Lucy’s boutique!

3. What is your favorite college and/or pro football team? 

The Texas A&M Aggies of course!  I’m not really a pro football fan, but if I had to pick, I would say the Dallas Cowboys.  I mean, they are America’s team, and I do live in Dallas.  As you can imagine, I was not crazy about the part of the book where Walker beat the Aggies. 

4. Did you grow up in a place where football was practically a second religion?  Was football a big part of your high school and/or college experience?

Football was a pretty big deal in the town where I grew up – there was a lot of history and a lot of local pride that was linked to the high school football team there.  I grew up in a college town in north Louisiana, so going to Louisiana Tech football games was a regular weekend activity in the fall for my family.  The Bulldogs are still my second-favorite college team, after the Aggies of course. 

Football was a HUGE part of my college experience at Texas A&M.  Football games in Aggieland consist of 90,000 people yelling and screaming for four hours.  AND, the student section at A&M stands for the entire game, and we do various yells pretty much the whole time.  It is unlike any other place in college football.  My feet had never known true pain until my freshman year, haha!  

Now that we are alumni, Austin and I have season tickets and can thankfully sit down at times during the games now that we’re out of the student section.  We love going back, and I’d be lying if I said we aren’t already getting excited about our first trip down to College Station this fall. 

Gig ‘em!

5.  What was your favorite scene in the book?

I enjoyed the scene where Shea and her dad had breakfast together and talked about her career.  It was nice to see them have a little bit of time together, just the two of them.  And dads are always good for career advice! 

6.  What was your least favorite scene in the book?

Pretty much all of the scenes that involved Shea and Coach Carr getting closer and closer made me uncomfortable.  Even though I saw that coming, it still just seemed weird to me.  Also, many of the scenes during Shea’s relationship with Ryan were uncomfortable to read. 

7.  Have you read any of Emily Giffin's books before?  If so, how do you think this book compared?

Yes, I think I have read all of her other books.  I enjoyed Something Borrowed and Something Blue quite a bit more than some of her more recent books, including this one.  I remember that I did not love Heart of the Matter quite as much as those first two when I read it.  I do not think this book was as good as her earlier work.  It just seemed too “out there” to me.   

8.  Now that you've finished this book, what is next on your summer reading list?

Well, I wrote a post here about my summer reading list, so I’m working through those books now.  But, at the top of my list is our Blogger Bookworms book for next month chosen by my co-hostess, Katelyn!  In August we will read and post about:

August BB

Thanks for linking up today & we hope you’ll join us in August!


2 comments:

  1. I was definitely a little let down by this book because I love her other books so much. I have to download and read your next selection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being such a great cohostess! It was a quick read and there were some scenes that made me a little uncomfortable too. It's hard to picture having a romantic relationship with your best friend's dad. I kind of wish the friendship between Lucy and Shea had been expanded on. I just finished reading Something Borrowed and it was a much better explanation of a friendship. Oh well, on to the next! Hope The Light Between Oceans is a good one too!

    xoxo,
    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete