Friday, June 13, 2014

5 on Friday – Vol. 37

Happy Friday to all of you and to the lovely hostesses of 5 on Friday - A.Liz Adventures, Carolina Charm, The Good Life, and Hello Happiness!

image

This is going to be a very green 5 on Friday, I’ll just warn you now.  I’m not sure what exactly is bringing on my latest obsession, but all I want to do is plant flowers and herbs and have an outdoor space larger than our teeny apartment porch.  Actually, now that I think about it, my visit to my parents’ house last weekend is probably the catalyst for this obsession.

{one} I mean look what my mom had sitting next to her sink all weekend – all of those beauties are from their yard!

IMG_4127  

{two} I got sidetracked while we were taking some of these pictures on the porch and wound up obsessing over their caladiums for a good five minutes.  I adore caladiums.  Our church put some in their beds recently, and I got so excited walking into the building a few Sundays ago. 

IMG_4139

{three}  Don’t even get me started on the herbs.  I just can’t make this kind of magic on a mosquito-infested porch that doesn’t get a whole lot of sunlight. 

IMG_4171

{four} Hot pink hydrangeas.  I can’t even begin to imagine how delighted I would be to have these growing right outside my door!  One thing is for sure, when we have the space and I learn the first tiny bit about growing plants, I sure will appreciate it after being deprived for all these years of apartment living.  I’m hoping that the green thumb that both of my parents clearly have is genetic.  I’m also pretty glad that I have a landscaper for a brother-in-law just in case it is not!

IMG_4169

{five} Somehow, not really all that much of a surprise given my obvious train of thought, I came home from Trader Joe’s last night with a basil plant and some pretty flowers for our supper club on Saturday night.  If only I had the luxury of going out into my yard to find a centerpiece.  Fingers crossed I can keep the basil alive at least long enough to harvest some for our appetizer. 

IMG_4182

Moral of this blog post: be ready for lots of adventures in landscaping and gardening once we hopefully find our next home in a few short months. Ok, now I just remembered that my mom grew lettuce one fall and we had a salad made out of it at Thanksgiving.  Maybe that will be how I dive into gardening this fall? 

Happy Friday - hope your weekend is full of tasty herbs and pretty summer flowers!  I’m looking forward to a fun weekend with this one (we’ll just pretend that is our front porch). 

IMG_4180

Oh, and I can’t let this week completely pass me by without documenting Austin’s oh-so-bloggable (<—first blog post ever) moment at the Rangers game earlier this week… he caught a foul ball!  He is literally the luckiest person I know, so I’m not even surprised.  Thank goodness we stayed until the very end of the 9th inning (hence the empty stadium).  He would want me to be sure and tell you that he actually caught it, and it didn’t even touch the ground.  I’ve never been prouder ;)   

    photo

9 comments:

  1. Happy Friday, Emily! Loving all the fabulous floral goodness here! Will be praying for you and your hubby as you look for your next home! Congrats to your man on catching that foul ball! How fun!! Love that you weren't even surprised, but proud! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all those beautiful blooms!! So pretty! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun that your husband caught a foul ball! I somehow caught one a few weeks ago-- though I admit it bounced off the field and landed on the ground before I got to it ;) I have been loving herbs and greenery lately too! We don't have much grass space, but I'm attempted to grow zucchini this year- it isn't looking the most promising but I have my fingers crossed! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the green you've got on the blog today! Your momma sure must have a serious green thumb because her roses look amazing! Best of luck with your new basil plant :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome that your hubby caught a foul ball. I remember being a kid at the games and just waiting for one to come my way. Now I'm usually in the beer garden. :)

    And those hot pink hydrangeas are AMAZING! We have 2 hydrangeas, but I want many more. They are just so beautiful and flower for so long.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you that apartment living has made me SO excited to have a real yard and green space in the future! Let me know how your basil plant fares - I've been thinking of picking one up from Trader Joe's too but didn't know if they would live for very long! Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from the linkup! That is so awesome your husband caught a foul ball! My husband is a travel baseball coach so we are all about some baseball over here! The hydrangea is beautiful.. they are my favorite! Unfortunately, I have no green thumb. Now a new follower :)
    www.baseballdiamondshairspray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your polka dot dress!! And your mom's yard must be amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need some hot pink hydrangeas in my life!
    So cool that your hubby caught a foul ball too. I'd duck and hide if a ball was flying at me! :)
    Also... I don't know about you, but I've been super bummed about missing five on Friday for the summer. If you're interested my friend Karli {september FARM} and I {the farmer's wife} are starting up a link-up "oh hey, friday!" with the exact same outline and would love for you to join us tomorrow or any Friday! Hope to see you there.
    xoxo
    Amy

    ReplyDelete