Friday, March 21, 2014

Five on Friday – Vol. 27

Happy Friday to all of you and to the lovely hostesses of 5 on Friday - A.Liz Adventures, Carolina Charm, The Good Life, and Hello Happiness.

image

I think bloggers everywhere (at least most of the ones who write the blogs I read) can now breathe a collective sigh of relief since spring is FINALLY here.  We’ve certainly all been posting about how ready we are for it to arrive for several weeks now!  Hopefully it feels like spring where you are today.  Thank goodness it does seem like spring is actually here, weather wise, in Dallas.  We might even eat outside on a patio tonight to celebrate! 

ONE – My love of nail polish and at home manicures has been well documented on this blog over the years, so it should not come as a surprise that I treated myself to some new nail polishes this week with some birthday money that was just burning a hole in my pocket.  I am so excited to try each of these new colors!  Also, after seeing Katie’s post last week about the Seche Vite top coat, I just couldn’t resist picking that up too.  I think probably at least half of the Five on Friday posts I’ve done have something related to a manicure or nail polish – that is clearly my “go to!”  

s 

IMG_3648

TWO – I can’t believe it has taken me until March 21st to post about the March card since I’ve been enjoying it on my fridge for a couple of weeks now.  Mom continues to outdo herself with one cute card after another month after month!  March’s card is particularly appropriate for today now that it is officially spring. 

March card

I seriously cannot wait to post pictures of the baby shower I’m hosting with two other church friends in April.  Mom has been working on some goodies for that this week, and the pictures she’s been texting me have me so excited for the cuteness that is to come.  The pink and white chevron peeking out on the left side of this picture is the shower invitation. :)

THREE – I came home one day this week to find a delightful surprise birthday gift waiting for me on the bar – my wonderful sister-in-law gifted me a 3 month Birchbox subscription.  My sister had a subscription for a while, and I love browsing all of her goodies that she keeps in a cute little bowl on her bathroom counter.  I texted Courtney the night that the box arrived that I was so ready to go to sleep just so I could get up the next day and use some of the things in my box!  I’m also a nut for trying different types of tea, so the three individual teas that came in the box were just thrilling to me. 

IMG_3661 

FOUR – I can’t post about some of my birthday gifts today without giving Austin a little shout out – he gave me some pretty green earrings (so appropriate that my birthday is a few days before St. Patrick’s Day!) and a blog re-design!  I’m so excited to pull the trigger on updating my blog after enjoying this current design for over two years now.  Stay tuned for that! 

Back to the earrings – they were a good match for my favorite springtime scarf which I wore this week to spice up an otherwise boring black outfit.  Hard to get the best picture in my bathroom mirror, but I’ve been loving them this week! 

IMG_3650 IMG_3651

FIVE – Now that it seems we are finally getting adjusted to daylight saving time, the daylight lasting well into the time that I’ve been getting home has helped motivate me to cook more in the evenings.  Austin works pretty crazy hours in the spring, and he was out of town for a while, so I definitely fell out of the habit of cooking regularly in the evenings.  This week he has been able to come home for dinner (although he works for a while after we finish eating), which has been a big treat.  I cooked a spring pasta dish one night and my favorite recipe for stuffed bell peppers last night, and now our fridge is fully stocked with leftovers for a while! 

IMG_3658 IMG_3662

The pasta dish was one that I copied from my mom a while back but just got around to making – it is a keeper for sure.  The fresh asparagus, green peas, mushrooms, and thyme were an excellent combination for a light springtime dish (not too light since half and half and fresh parm were also involved!).  The bell pepper recipe is one I tore out of Real Simple ages ago.  Both of these are relatively quick meals to throw together, which is so important to me for weeknight cooking!

Have a wonderful first official weekend of spring!  We are headed to Austin to celebrate my mother-in-law’s birthday this weekend – I can’t wait!

12 comments:

  1. I love those nail polishes! I have been looking for some fun warm weather colors and now I know what to go look for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the earrings and YESSSSS to spring time. Thank you Lord for some chirping birds :) Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those stuffed peppers looks amazing!! And you can't beat leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those dishes look so yummy! I love stuffed peppers! A Birchbox subscription?!?! How awesome! Stopping by from Five on Friday =) Can't wait to read more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swooning over your new Essie goodness!! Mint candy apple is one of my faves! That was birthday money put to good use ;) I just adore the cards your mom creates and sends you! I'm sure you treasure them so! Birchbox is so fun -- what a thoughtful gift! I adore your new earrings! Looks like you enjoyed a fabulous week!! Hope your weekend in Austin celebrating your mother-in-law's birthday is every bit as sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE painting my nails. It's so relaxing to me.

    I never thought of doing a subscription such as Birchbox as a gift! That is such a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those earrings & YAY for a blog redesign! I can't wait to see it!
    Happy Weekend, Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those Essie colors! And I have been a Birchbox subscriber for over a year now and am still obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Friday, Emily! I love those Essie colors and think I need to pick up some new ones soon. One of my favorite colors is called "Clambake" and is simiilar to your e-nuf is e-nuf Love the green earrings too!

    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the earrings - he did good! Enuf is enuf is one of my favorite Essie polishes and I'm happy you got the Seche Vite! Hope you're enjoying it :) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all those colors but I must find the mint candy apple! And he did a great job with those earrings! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use the Seche Vite top coat, too! I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete