Sunday, March 9, 2014

Family, Flowers, & Fun!

I am winding down from a wonderful weekend full of family time, good food, beautiful flowers at the Arboretum, and a pretty great Sunday afternoon nap.  There is nothing better than spending time with my family, and I’m so glad they were able to make a weekend trip to Dallas! 

We started our Saturday morning with a late breakfast when Mom, Dad, and Mary Katherine got to town.  The oatmeal recipe that I tried was a big hit, and I will definitely be making it again.  I think MK asked my mom at least three times if she got the recipe, and she requested it for breakfast on Monday morning when they got back home.  We also had sausage and eggs cooked by my favorite breakfast chef, Austin.  I was really only focused on taking pictures of the oatmeal because I served it in my favorite little ramekins.  I love ANY excuse to get to use those little guys!

IMG_3471 IMG_3472

My family came bearing gifts and the best strawberry cupcakes ever, so we had a little birthday celebration after breakfast.  We did manage to hold off on the cupcakes until later that afternoon.

IMG_3463 IMG_3464

That pineapple paper is ALWAYS a good sign, and I love love love the pretty tea towels, salad plates, and platter that they gave me!  The bunny towels have already made an appearance on my oven, and I think they may have to stay permanently.  I immediately did some rearranging on my kitchen counter so that I can stare at my pretty platter all day!  They know me so well.  Of course the coordinating card with scalloped edges just about did me in – so precious!

IMG_3465 IMG_3468

IMG_3550

IMG_3555   IMG_3560

After presents, we headed for the Dallas Arboretum and crossed our fingers that we would beat the rain.  We lucked out with a dry morning, although it was a tad chilly.  The flowers were so pretty, and we had a great time walking all around the beautiful gardens.  The Arboretum is such a hidden gem in Dallas, and I was thrilled to get to spend a Saturday morning there with my family.  I took so many pictures, but I’ll try to show some restraint and not post every single one! 

IMG_3479 

IMG_3476 IMG_3473

IMG_3485 IMG_3496

IMG_3488 

IMG_3481 IMG_3532

IMG_3489 IMG_3534

IMG_3527  IMG_3539 IMG_3519

IMG_3516

IMG_3513 IMG_3525

We made a quick stop at home for some hot tea and cupcakes after being out in the cool weather all morning, and then we headed to Northpark to fight the Saturday madness.  MK found a beautiful dress for her very last prom, and I loved getting to shop for it with her!  We popped in a few other stores - Paper-Source is always a must when Mom and I are together - and managed to make it out of the craziness unscathed.  Before we knew it, it was time for Benihana!

IMG_3558 IMG_3542

We ate and ate and ate and were all so full when we left!  We started with that delicious soup, salad, then shared steak, shrimp, chicken, and fried rice, and then I ended dinner with a birthday banana split.  So fun!

After a long day of walking, a huge dinner, and daylight savings time ahead of us, we were all tired and decided to make it an early night so that we could be up and ready for church in the morning!  I was so thrilled that my parents and MK were able to come to Sunday School and “big church” with us – it is so fun to have people with us on Sunday mornings!  Mom and I snapped one quick pic before church, and I wish we’d had time to take some more pictures, but I never usually have a lot of picture taking time on Sunday mornings.  I tend to use every bit of my “getting ready time” to get ready and then rush out the door!  We had a great morning at church, and Austin and I were sad to see them leave this afternoon. 

IMG_3546 IMG_3561

I’m already counting the days until our next visit!  And we sure did miss having my other sister and her husband here with us, but hopefully we will get to catch up with them sometime soon.  I am going into my birthday week with such a full and happy heart after this fun weekend!  Sunday afternoon ended for me curled up in my favorite chair, finishing this hilarious book, and then taking a delightful nap.  A perfect end to a perfect weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a fabulous birthday weekend!! These pictures are fabulous and so are those gifts!! :)

    ReplyDelete