Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Spring Running

This beautiful and amazing weather we are having in Dallas this week has totally reignited my love of running.  I can tolerate running in the cold, but just barely, so winter is most definitely not my favorite time of year to run.  These recent temperatures in the 60s and 70s are much more suitable for my tastes!  We took advantage of the weather and ran Saturday, and I also squeezed in a run yesterday.  Here’s hoping that the nice weather is here to stay through the spring. 

This picture is from my first 10K with my wonderful running buddy, Laura.  Laura and I were neighbors in Jackson and logged a lot of miles on the roads of Belhaven getting ready for our spring 2011 weddings!  This race was called Chill in the Hills and it was in Vicksburg, MS in January of 2011.  We were freezing! 

Vicksburg10K

Vicksburg10K(2)

I realized yesterday that I have two runs booked for back to back weekends in April, and I’m really looking forward to both.  Our church is hosting a 4 mile Easter run on Saturday, April 19, and my youngest sister and I are doing the Color Up 5K in College Station on Saturday, April 26!  Both races are pretty short distances that I’m already comfortable with, but I’d like to shoot for faster miles, especially in the 4 mile Easter run.  If you live in DFW and are a runner, you should consider the 4 mile Easter run – I think it will be a great time!  There is also a 1 mile fun run option that I’m sure will be a giant parade of strollers full of cute babies – it seems like there has been quite the little baby boom at our church in recent months. 

FDEasterRun

ColorUp5K 

My main goal for the Color Up run is to have fun with my sister!!  Neither of us have ever done a color run before, and I’m equal parts excited and terrified.  For someone who doesn’t exactly embrace anything messy, this will be different for me… but I’m just going to go with it and make the most of it! 

In the upcoming months I’m going to try to run at least 3 times a week, and I’d like to start making some of my weekend runs longer than my standard 3-4 miles that I do on weekdays.  Hopefully I can drag Austin along for the ride.  This is a really busy time of year for him at work, so he doesn’t have a whole lot of free time for running, but I know being outdoors and doing something active is a nice change of pace from work for him.  We’ve got to enjoy this nice weather while it lasts before we’re all withering in the Texas heat this summer.

Have you ever done a color run?  What should I expect?! 

3 comments:

  1. I've never done a color run but it looks like lots of fun. I don't "run" well since I have repeated knee and ankle injuries but I love jog/walking and used to go on 3 1/2 mile walks around the local park during my lunch breaks when we were living in Arkansas. Guess I need to find a new walking buddy here in SC. Too bad you're so far away!

    Katelyn
    http://realhousewifeofgreenville.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go girl! I used to run a lot more but since living in NYC have fallen off the band wagon because it is SO COLD and I can't deal with the treadmill. Lord knows I will be some kind of out of shape when the warmer months roll around. Ha!! I have never done a color run but have seen and heard great things! Regardless, being with your sis and experiencing it together will be amazing :) Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done a color run before and will be doing the Color Up as well! You will love it!! They're so much fun!

    ReplyDelete