Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Top 13 of ‘13

Each December when we are traveling from one family to another for holiday celebrations, Austin and I like to recap our year.  Usually I end up getting out my planner (sometimes we consult the blog, too) to refresh our memories, and we talk about all the fun things we did that year.  I highly recommend this for end of the year road trips!  In a nod to our road trip tradition, I thought it would be fun to translate the concept to a blog post of my top thirteen memories of 2013.

::ONE – SISTER WEDDINGS:: One of my sisters and one of Austin’s sisters got married this year!  Courtney and Tyler married in May, and Melanie and Clark in November.  After 2012, and the MANY weddings we attended that year (I will always remember it as our “year of weddings”) these two were extra special!

Mel's wedding

    Courtney's wedding Courtney's wedding 2

::TWO – CHARLESTON:: Our Charleston trip in June was a definite highlight – so much delicious food, so much history, so much beauty in that city!  The window boxes were my favorite.  (posts: the food, the fun, the rest)

Charleston Charleston 2

Charleston 4

::THREE – AN AGGIELAND BOUND SISTER:: Austin and I went to College Station back in October with my youngest sister, Mary Katherine, and we were just tickled to death when she officially decided that she is headed to Aggieland in 2014!

CS with MK

::FOUR – 4TH OF JULY:: I loved being at my parents’ house with both sisters (and Clark my now brother-in-law, too!) to celebrate this summer.  That weekend, I learned the hard way that I am not a very good badminton player… Full post here.

4th of July 2

4th of July 1   4th of July 3

::FIVE – RENOVATED:: Our apartment renovations were a pain while they were going on, but we have been thrilled with the upgrade.  After living here for almost three years, the changes were a nice little way to spruce things up a bit. 

kitchen reno

::SIX – THE STATE FAIR OF TEXAS:: 2013 will go down as the year that we officially experienced the State Fair.  We had a ball with my in-laws when they came to visit in October.

state fair

::SEVEN – OUR 20K::  We were so proud to finish and it was a great feeling to accomplish our goal! 

::EIGHT – EASTER & THE FBCD GRAND OPENING:: What a blessing to be a part of the grand opening of our church’s new campus in March 2013.  It was such a joyful day!

Easter

::NINE – I BLOGGED EVERY DAY IN MAY:: Ok, well I think I missed one or two days, but I loved participating in Jenni’s Blog Every Day in May challenge this year.  (My May posts start here.)

::TEN – BROKEN BOW WITH FRIENDS:: We had an amazing weekend in Broken Bow, OK with three other couples thanks to our friends Brooke and Oscar.  Hopefully we get to go back at some point in 2014.  And now, I just can’t help but notice when I look at this picture, one couple has a brand new baby girl (as of last week!) and another has a baby on the way (not us!!). 

Broken Bow

Broken Bow 2

::ELEVEN – EXPLORING DALLAS: SPRINGTIME AT THE ARBORETUM//A TRIP TO THE ZOO::  We continued to explore new places in the big D with trips to the Zoo with Austin’s family and to the Arboretum with my grandparents.  We loved having visitors in 2013!

koala zoo2 Arb

::TWELVE – HOUSTON RODEO WITH THE SISTERS::  This was such a fun weekend!  We went to the rodeo and a Band Perry concert in March with my sisters (and Clark!).  We also celebrated my birthday that weekend, which was extra fun for me!

HLSSR

biday

::THIRTEEN – BECOMING A TRADER JOE’S FAN:: TJ’s came to Dallas, and I drank that kool-aid.  In fact, I’m planning a trip this weekend.  It is pretty awesome and was one of many cherries in my 2013 sundae. 

TJs

2013 was such a good year  - I think we struck a good balance of work and play and also just really settled into the groove of our current life stage.  We continued our involvement at church and learned so much about ourselves as Christians, I joined the Junior League this year, Austin became a football referee, we attended more weddings of sweet friends, and there are many more fun tidbits from 2013, but this post is long enough!  Now we’ll look forward to all the good things that 2014 will bring.

1 comment: