Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Our Thanksgiving 2013

My one week blog hiatus is finally over, and I’m sure this Thanksgiving recap is one of the more belated ones that you’ll read, but better late than never!  Time has just gotten away from me so far this week, and the pictures and blog posts are just piling up over here needing to be blogged.  We’ll start with the first part of our Thanksgiving holiday – a visit to my parents’ house.  I’m sure I’ve said this before, but it is one of my favorite places to be any time of year, but especially for the holidays.  There’s nothing quite like being “home.” 

IMG_3014  IMG_3017

Mom’s table setting was so beautiful, and we reaped the benefits of leftover wedding flowers and a neighbor who let me and Austin harvest some fresh eucalyptus from her yard on Thanksgiving morning after our run.  There is no turkey trot in our tiny town, so Austin and I improvised and ran our own in the neighborhood! 

IMG_3016  IMG_3013

As has become a tradition for whenever we’re at home, we had a mini photo shoot while we were waiting for all the finishing touches on our lunch.  We missed Melanie and Clark, but I don’t think they missed us too much seeing as how they were in St. Lucia!

IMG_3025  IMG_3029

IMG_3023

IMG_3024

The plethora of lemons from my parents’ lemon tree even got to have their picture taken.  Aren’t they pretty?  I can now add “having a lemon tree” to the long list of reasons I’m ready to have a house and a yard. 

IMG_3021

After pictures, Mary Katherine and I couldn’t resist breaking into the deviled egg tray while Dad was starting to slice up our smoked turkey.  I love deviled eggs in a serious way.  They are always the perfect appetizer.

IMG_3036  IMG_3035

IMG_3040  IMG_3041

Last to go in the oven were Mom’s homemade sweet potato rolls – yes, you heard that right.  They were amazing.  To take that even further over the top, we ate them with whipped orange honey butter!  The rolls were hard to top, but my very favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal will always be the cranberry relish.  Ours has apricots, honey, orange zest, cinnamon, and lots of other yummy things in it.  Mary K also made us a tasty pistachio salad this year.  My Grandma always make this at holidays, and we all love it.   

IMG_3038  IMG_3045

Finally almost everything was ready to go!  We had turkey, ham, gravy, Jezebel sauce, dressing, broccoli and rice casserole, sweet potatoes in orange cups, green bean bundles, pistachio salad, cranberry relish, and rolls.  It was all so very good.  

IMG_3049

Every single one of us took a pretty major nap that afternoon, and then we had dessert when we woke up.  We were all so stuffed from lunch that dessert put us over the edge and we didn’t even break out leftovers that night.  We ended up with five desserts… and there were five of us.  If that is not the picture of gluttony, then I don’t know what is.  I sampled the coconut cream pie, pumpkin pie, and lemon tart that afternoon but only because I had already had a mini pecan pie and some of Mary Katherine’s sweet potato cookies on Wednesday.

IMG_3050  IMG_3051

What a wonderful Thanksgiving we had!  We have so much to be thankful for and so many blessings to celebrate.  The delicious food was obviously the cherry on top of our day. 

We were fortunate to also be able to see Austin’s family over the weekend following Thanksgiving when we traveled to Austin for a wedding.  That will have to be my next post.  Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone! 

3 comments:

  1. Your thanksgiving did look wonderful! And that food GIRL, SO yummy! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like y'all had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candied walnuts...mmm. It sounds delicious. We love making our own Christmas cards and adding a personal touch to them all!

    www.mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete