Friday, December 6, 2013

Five on Friday – Vol. 15

I’m returning to my favorite end of the week link up after missing the past couple of weeks!   Thanks as always to A.Liz Adventures, Carolina Charm, The Good Life, and Hello Happiness for hosting such a fun day in blog world.

image

ONE – ICE DAY! 

Today I am absolutely giddy over the fact that I am NOT at work right now.  A major ice storm is blowing through Dallas right now, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to be typing this in pajamas at 10:00 a.m. on a Friday.  What  a perfect treat to end the week!  I’m getting a little spoiled with these partial weeks – I had two three day weeks in a row thanks to Mel’s Wedding and Thanksgiving, and now a four day week thanks to the ice.  A girl could get used to this! 

IMG_3078  IMG_3077

So far this morning I’ve had multiple cups of coffee on the couch enjoying our Christmas tree, caught up on blog reading, done some laundry, and enjoyed a delicious breakfast.  I have not put on make up, heels, work clothes, packed a lunch, or been outside.  Pure bliss. 

We do have our Sunday school Christmas party scheduled for tonight, and I’m really hoping some of the ice clears out by then… it is supposed to stop around noon, so my fingers are crossed that the party can go on as planned, but we’ll see. 

TWO – Recent Recipes

My mom dreamed up this delicious salad for me to take to a Sunday school potluck a few weeks ago, and I’ve been hooked on it ever since.  Mixed greens, mushrooms, red onion, pomegranate seeds, candied walnuts, bacon, and vinaigrette.  It has been recreated many many times for my lunchbox since its potluck debut!  

IMG_2847

I tried a new recipe from the December Southern Living last week, and we loved it the first time and got several lunches out of the leftovers as well. The recipe is Chicken and Collards Pilau.   

IMG_3005

THREE – Christmas tree is up!

I’ve yet to blog about the weekend after Thanksgiving, but we got back to Dallas on Sunday afternoon and put our tree up that night.  I’ve decided that next year’s tree needs about twice as many lights on it, but we’re enjoying the 2013 tree very much so far.  Sorry for the iPhone pics - more snippets of our Christmas décor to come!

photo 1 (4)  photo 2 (5)

FOUR – December cards from 2011 and 2012

IMG_3084

Flipping my cards each month always makes me happy.  I remember getting that bird card in 2011 when Austin and I were getting ready to celebrate our first married Christmas and the cute buttons last year right before my parents came for a visit to bring us our new kitchen table.  It is hard to believe that our third married Christmas is just a few short weeks away. 

IMG_3083

FIVE – Ugly Sweaters

Somehow I have survived the past couple of years without an ugly sweater although this has been a craze for quite a while.  My office is having an ugly sweater party and potluck next Friday, so I have exactly one week to find one.  I was doing some browsing and stumbled upon uglychristmassweater.com.  Of course there is a website dedicated just to this?!  I really want this one, but I’m not really going to spend $50 on it, so the hunt continues.  If the ice moves on out, a Target trip might be in my future. 

merry-christmas-filthy-animal-sweater-green

My mom really had the best one, and I’m so mad at her for throwing it away – it had sequin ornaments.  It wasn’t really super tacky or ugly, but it would be perfect for a “dressier” look since I can’t exactly wear leggings to work…

I’m off to wrap our first two Christmas presents and finally get something under that tree.  Happy Friday y’all – stay warm!

7 comments:

  1. Your morning sounds SO perfect! Enjoy the long weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that you get the day @ home!!!!! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha girl so jealous you were iced in today! Ummm why can't this happen to me in Florida?? Ha.
    & I love y'alls Christmas tree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay warm! Stopping by from the link-up. Happy Friday!

    Christa
    Forever Young

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always a fan of a new take/twist on a salad. YUM!
    Love the tree!!!!!
    Happiest weekend, beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That salad looks amazing.... I've been an awful wife / momma lately and haven't made many meals. :/

    And your Christmas tree looks great (I'll forgive you for the A&M ornament... kidding!!). So glad you joined our little link-up! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those dishes look delicious! bookmarking them. :)

    ReplyDelete