Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Part Two

The second leg of our Christmas trip took us to Austin early on Christmas Eve morning.  My darling husband got a wild idea to try a new route which ended up taking us a big longer than our trusty normal route.  Needless to say, I wasn’t a fan of that and we will be sticking with the original route for all future trips :). 
We FINALLY (it really wasn’t that much longer, I’m just rubbing it in) made it and enjoyed a quick lunch and some visiting with my in-laws.  We watched the Christmas episode of Duck Dynasty on their new couch – my mother-in-law’s Christmas present!  It was so comfy, and I almost dozed off for an afternoon nap… but before we knew it, it was time to get ready for the Christmas Eve service at their church. 

IMG_3249 IMG_3250 IMG_3251
Austin, Casey, and I killed some time waiting for all the other slow pokes to get ready. 

The Christmas Eve service was festive and fun, and there were cute little children dressed in precious Christmas outfits everywhere.  That was probably my favorite part!  We almost had a dramatic ending to the service when the lady behind us caught her hair on fire with her candle.  It smelled so bad. She had a couple of rowdy little boys with her, and she leaned forward, I’m guessing to shoot them one of those “mom looks” that says you better sit down and be still right this minute.  Well, poor thing burned her own hair in the process!  I’m just thankful one of those little boys didn’t burn my hair! 

We had a little photo session outside of church on the very sunny Christmas Eve afternoon. 
IMG_3252
IMG_3254
IMG_3257
{the whole family: Austin, me, Buddy, Tyler, Courtney, Suann, and Casey}

After the service, a ton of family came over and we had a big dinner.  Dinner was followed by a white elephant gift exchange that was fairly tame compared to those in previous years that I’ve seen.  I went out on a limb and opened a gift that I did not bring, and I loved it!  But then my sister-in-law Courtney stole it from me, so I promptly stole the gift I brought from my mother-in-law.  So somehow I’m still undefeated when it comes to leaving with the gift I contributed.  Oh well! 

On Christmas morning, Austin and his mom read us the Christmas story from Luke before we began our present opening.
IMG_3258

I was pretty busy watching everyone open gifts and didn’t get many good pictures, but it was a wonderful Christmas morning followed by a delicious breakfast of quiche, cinnamon rolls, bacon, and fruit. 

IMG_3259  IMG_3262

We lounged for a bit after breakfast, then finally got dressed and went on a nice long walk that included a trip to the elementary school playground.  I impressed everyone by doing some flips on the monkey bars ;), and we all had a great time!  It was a really nice day, so it was good to get out and get some fresh air.  We also got to have a quick visit with our friends Billy and Carly, who walked over from Billy’s family’s house next door, that afternoon. 

I came back to Dallas late that afternoon so I could be at work the next day – womp womp.  Austin stayed for the rest of the week, and he and Casey went on a little road trip on Thursday and Friday.  Now we are happily reunited in Dallas and getting ready for 2014!  But first, we’re excited to watch our Aggies BTHO Duke in the Chick-fil-a Bowl on New Year’s Eve.  Gig ‘em Ags!  

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures from your Christmas Eve service! Glad y'all could enjoy time with Austin's family. As a HUGE Carolina Tar Heel Fan I'm begging your Aggies to beat Duke :-)

    ReplyDelete