Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas Part One

Well it is hard to believe that Christmas has already come and gone.  This year we were lucky that it worked out for us to spend time with both of our families on our “Christmas Break.”  We spent the Sunday and Monday before Christmas with my family, and then we traveled to Austin early on Tuesday to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with Austin’s family. 

We left Dallas super early on Sunday and arrived at Mom and Dad’s at about 9:00 a.m.  Mom had the cutest little beverage station set up, and I enjoyed several cups of chai tea during the time we were there. 

IMG_3197 IMG_3198

We unloaded the gifts we brought, sipped our tea, and started lunch prep while we waited for my sister Melanie and her husband Clark to arrive from Louisiana.  Once they got there, we had the ultimate grilled cheese bar for lunch.  It was such a fun lunch concept and one that I am just waiting for an excuse to repeat!  We laid out all kinds of spreads and condiments along with several types of deli meat, cheeses, and some extras like bacon and caramelized onions.  Oh my word, it was so good!

IMG_3225

IMG_3206

IMG_3203 IMG_3204

We ate on Mom’s pretty Christmas china all weekend.  I just adore it!  My favorite piece was this plate with scalloped edges – so stinking cute.  The ginger cookies piled high just make it even better. 

IMG_3221

Mom also made a cherry pie for our dessert that night.  Have you ever seen anything as cute as that holly crust??

IMG_3199 

For dinner that night, we had a feast of ham, rolls, hash brown casserole, and roasted vegetable salad in the dining room. 

IMG_3218

IMG_3216 IMG_3217

After dessert, which included cherry pie, chocolate pie, fruitcake cookies (gag), and ginger cookies, it was time to move to the living room and open presents! 

IMG_3222

IMG_3226

Stockings first!  Since Mel and Clark have been married for a month, his official family stocking is not quite ready.  I think Austin got his on our second married Christmas, so we are apparently continuing that tradition. 

IMG_3236 IMG_3232

My favorite wrap job of the night was this gorgeous fruit paper that Mom found in the Wall Street Journal of all places.  A close second was Austin’s bonus topper on one of his gifts – it’s a major award!

IMG_3243

IMG_3237 IMG_3233

IMG_3230

IMG_3246

The next morning we had a big breakfast including the world’s best homemade cinnamon rolls.  My fave!

IMG_3248

Then we just lounged and played games all of the rest of the day.  It was perfect.  Mom and I did one productive thing and made some cards for thank you notes.  Now that Christmas is over, I need to get to work on those little guys.

IMG_3269

Be back soon with part two from our time in Austin!  

2 comments:

  1. Those cinnamon rolls look too good to be true! Love all the pretty wrapping paper and glad y'all had a wonderful Christmas with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pie looks AMAZING! Seriously, I cannot imagine how long it took to make that crust - way more patience than I will ever have! I love Spode - we always used the same china for Christmas when I was growing up :) And yeah, I'm pretty much jealous of your family's hair, you ladies seriously lucked out!

    jess | Quaintrelle

    p.s. I'm doing a holiday recap blog hop tomorrow, it would be great if you linked up!

    ReplyDelete