Monday, June 17, 2013

Charleston: The Food

Ok, here we go with the Charleston recaps!  One of the reasons I was most excited to vacation in Charleston was all of the good food I knew we’d get to enjoy.  And enjoy we did.  We are still full from all of the deliciousness we indulged in while there. 

I have to start with my very favorite food experience of the trip.  We found out about the wonderful Charleston Cooks! store from my parents, and I was beyond thrilled to find out that they were offering a couples “Southern Summer Supper” class on the Friday night we were in town!  Oh my gosh, we had a ball. 

IMG_2034

We had a great instructor, Liz, who lead our class.  There were six couples total, and we all split up and made one dish on our menu after seeing all of the dishes demo’d.  Austin and I chose the chilled tomato basil bisque with rosemary olive oil pita crackers.  The motivating factor in my decision was that we got to use a Vitamix! 

IMG_2041

IMG_2050

Other couples prepared bacon, brie, and grits fritters, grilled steak with pimento cheese crust, butterbean and grilled corn aromatic rice saut√©, and lemon orange chiffon cake with citrus merengue buttercream.  Everything was out of this world amazing.  We just had the best time, and we learned a few things about knife skills and got some new recipes too!  I highly recommend one of these classes if you are ever in Charleston.  I think they have them in a couple other cities in SC as well.  So so so fun. 

IMG_2048

IMG_2134

We had great experiences at several Charleston restaurants as well.  Our lunches and dinners included these cute places:

  • Anson – best fish of my life and probably our overall favorite meal we ate at a restaurant
  • Magnolia’s – a perfect lunch spot on our day of shopping
  • 82 queen – a pretty good brunch, but this was not our favorite spot
  • Butcher & Bee – very cool sandwich place, but a bit out of the way
  • Pearlz Oyster Bar – Austin liked the oysters, and I had a pretty decent bowl of gumbo on our first night

We had the best intentions of also visiting Hominy Grill and Poogan’s Porch, but by the end of our trip, we were just so full and didn’t think we could even look at another fried green tomato. 

IMG_1996

southern egg rolls at Magnolia’s

IMG_1999 

my fried green tomato BLT at Magnolia’s

IMG_2000

Austin’s Magnolia’s crab cake

IMG_2022   IMG_2026

our grilled watermelon appetizer at Anson – so good.  That powdery looking stuff is dehydrated olive oil!

IMG_2024

And finally, the best fish I’ve ever eaten!  Whole flounder that was fried and topped with an outstanding apricot sauce.  I ate the entire thing and loved every single bite. 

IMG_2033

IMG_2114

IMG_1991

I need to post about the other fun things we did in Charleston, and I just don’t see any way around me devoting a lengthy post to pictures of the fabulous window boxes that just kept popping up everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment