Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Broken Bow Adventures

{So, I’m hoping this will be part 1 of 2 Broken Bow posts – I didn’t take my nice camera on a few of our adventures and am hoping to steal some iPhone pictures from friends.}

We spent this past weekend in Broken Bow, Oklahoma with three other couples.  It was so so so fun!  I had never heard of Broken Bow until very recently, but one couple we were with – Brooke and Oscar – got married there last year.  Brooke and Oscar invited us, along with two other couples from our Sunday School class, to spend the weekend in Broken Bow with them.  We had all been making plans, exchanging emails, and looking forward to the trip for months.  Austin picked me up a little early from work on Friday and we hit the road for OK.  I found it amazing that this beautiful little place was only about three hours away from Dallas.  Broken Bow is near Beavers Bend State Park, and there is a gorgeous lake, beautiful streams and hiking trails, and so much pretty scenery.  I predict more trips there in the future! 

IMG_1963

We rented a precious cabin, and all of the girls decided to cook one meal while we were there.  This ended up working really well, and it resulted in tons of good food.  We did a lot of good eating!  Brooke and Oscar fixed grilled kabobs, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, and cheesy, garlicky bread for dinner on Friday.  We played a game after dinner and were all just so giddy and happy to be there. 

The boys got up early on Saturday and Sunday mornings and went fishing.  Austin caught the biggest fish of the weekend and so of course we were excited about that!  We feasted on biscuits and gravy and breakfast banana cobbler on Saturday morning thanks to Laura. 

IMG_1909

IMG_1908

Our first attempt at a hike on Saturday was sadly rained out, but we made up for it with an extra long hike on Saturday afternoon.  It was a little misty outside, and I did not take my camera.  The scenery on that hike was just so amazing.  I so wish I had pictures to prove that to you, but the whole hike was just breathtaking! 

IMG_1923

Saturday night after our epic hike, we watched the movie “8 seconds,” and Taylor fixed a tasty supper. I had never seen or heard of that movie before, but it was so good.  I even cried at the end, which I rarely do in movies, but gosh, it was sad!  It was about a bull rider, and I don’t know what came over me that even allowed me to stay awake through the whole thing, let alone be the most invested person in the living room.  I fell asleep shortly after bawling my eyes out at the end of that movie but was informed the next morning that I missed a country legends sing-a-long with Austin, Jared, and Brooke… so disappointed to have missed that!   

Austin and I cooked breakfast on Sunday to fuel us for our outdoor adventures later that day.  We had some perfect weather on Sunday, and we headed to a part of the lake where we rented kayaks, canoes, and paddleboats.  I am now 100% obsessed with kayaking.  File that under “things I NEVER thought I would say,” but I had SO much fun!  I haven’t stopped talking to Austin about us getting our own kayaks.  The kayaking was easily the highlight of the trip for me.  I had never done it before, but it was awesome!  We followed up the kayaking with a paddleboat ride (not as fun) so I could take some pictures.      

IMG_1934 

IMG_1948  IMG_1939

IMG_1958

IMG_1940

IMG_1953

IMG_1967

We are so thankful for great friends and our fun weekend getaway! 

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are wonderful and the scenery is breathtaking! It looks like I'll definitely have to plan a trip to Broken Bow and try some kayaking... Sadly, I just looked at Maps and it's about 4 hours from OKC, so a little further than Dallas, but it's still close nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth the drive for sure!

      Delete