Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Story of My Life

Well, there are a few hours left in May 1, 2013, so let’s kick this month-long challenge off with a bang!  A one paragraph story of my life bang, if you will.

One of my Dad’s sayings that will always stick with me is some variation of remember who you are, whose you are, and where you came from.  The story of my life can really be summed up by explaining those three things. I was born in Texas to my wonderful parents but spent most of my childhood in Ruston, Louisiana.  Ruston is the epitome of a small-town bubble.  Growing up there impacted who I am today in ways that continue to unfold to this day.  I moved with my family back to Texas in high school, went to Texas A&M for college, and then moved back east to Mississippi for law school.  My three years in Mississippi were some of the most formative years of my life.  I learned a lot about who I am, what I value, and what I want out of life during that time.  I think I identified with the culture there because I come from a long line of southerners.  My childhood in Louisiana and time in Mississippi taught me that Texas is a whole lot different than the deep south.  I can’t even begin to explain exactly how so, but the differences are there.  And I notice them.  Other than knowing my identity is truly found in Christ as a child of God, the places I have lived and “who/where I came from” are what have shaped my story more than anything else.  The setting of my story has made all the difference.  
    
pics: LA/TX/MS

No comments:

Post a Comment