Thursday, May 2, 2013

I’m Emily, and I’m an Organizer

Today’s prompt in the blog every day in May challenge is for me to educate y’all on something I know a lot about or am really good at.  The first thing that popped into my mind that I am really good at is making super organized outlines.  Seeing as how that would make for one boring blog post and is really only relevant for people in law school, my brainstorming continued. 

Another option would be for me to explain the art of the flail to y’all.  See, when something isn’t going my way, I learned eons ago that the BEST way to handle that is to just flop out on the ground.  No rational thought, civilized discussion, pro/con list needed – just a simple flail works great every time!  My parents, sisters, and husband can all vouch for my flailing skills!  

I pinned this image on Pinterest a while back with the caption “Disney taught me that the best way to express sadness is to throw yourself on the nearest object and dramatically sob!”

Ok, in all seriousness, something I really do have a knack for is being organized.  This “talent” probably came about out of necessity since I feel like I would spiral out of control without sticking to my system, but nonetheless, here are my top 5 tips for staying organized.

1. Have a master to-do list going at all times.  Carry it with you everywhere!  My master list goes in my little green note book.

photo (70)

2. Have a planner or calendar and use it!  I will forever be in the paper/write things down so I can cross them off later camp, for the record.  I write a smaller to-do list in my planner for each day that only includes the top 3-5 tasks I want to get done that day.  Crossing those little guys off my daily list brings soooo much satisfaction.

3. Color co-ordinate. I like to box or circle certain things in my planner in a range of colors depending on the event or item.  For example, social things like a dinner party with friends, are pink.  Church events are blue, appointments (eye doctor, hair, etc.) are green, and so on and so forth!  These lovely pens help with my color-coding.

photo (71)

4. Get mentally prepared for the week on Sunday or early Monday morning.  I love to map out my week on Sunday afternoon or early Monday with my first cup of coffee.  This is mainly to prep for any long days I might have coming due to after work commitments and to get a general idea of where Austin and I will be on a day to day basis for the next five days. 

5. Have a filing system and stick to it.  There are few things I loathe more than piles of paper.  My most used soldiers in the paper battle are three three-ring binders that I keep near my desk at all times.  One is my recipe binder, one is our home organization binder, and one is our church binder.  These are where I can quickly file away recipes or articles I tear out of magazines, the many papers that accumulate from our responsibilities at church, and anything else that we need to keep for one reason or another.  We have a filing cabinet for things that I don’t particularly want super easy access to and other boring stuff. 

So there you have it!  Any other organization tips that will rock my world? 

No comments:

Post a Comment