Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Our Christmas Tree

This past Sunday, after we made it back to Dallas from our Thanksgiving travels, we were bound and determined to get our Christmas tree up and decorated.  For the second year in a row, we headed to Ruibal’s at the Dallas Farmer’s Market and got a great looking tree.  We don’t have an artificial tree simply because we have no where to store it in our apartment, but now that we’ve had a real tree for two years in a row, I think it will be hard for me to ever adjust to not having that wonderful Christmas tree smell fill the living room this time of year!   For now I am squarely on team real tree. 

IMG_1052  

We had a few random strands of lights from last year that had sections that were not working, so lighting the tree took a little bit of trial and error.

IMG_1056

Finally it was time for the fun part – ornaments!  We purchased a good many ornaments last year for our first Christmas tree, and we mainly re-used things I had accumulated in law school and the ones we purchased last year.  My favorite things on the tree are the little nests with cardinals in them, of course!

IMG_1063

IMG_1064

   IMG_1069  IMG_1070  IMG_1071

IMG_1072

And on top, we have what Austin affectionately refers to as the “berry blast.”

IMG_1077

Here’s the finished product just waiting for presents to be added!

IMG_1080

We decided to start a tradition of adding one Old World Christmas ornament to our tree each year.  Last year, appropriately, we got the wedding cake ornament for our first Christmas as a married couple.  This year, to celebrate our first year of having season tickets and all of the Aggie games we’ve gone to, we got a Texas A&M ornament.  I love them both, and I’m excited to add a new one for every year to come!

   IMG_1068  IMG_1065

Off to enjoy my second cup of coffee in the living room by the tree! 

2 comments:

  1. The tree looks great! We always had a real tree growing up and I've never particularly loved fake trees, but Evan has really terrible allergies and the pollen gets to him. So, I am now the owner of a fake Christmas tree. Michael's does have these things called scentsicles (I think) that you hang like ornaments on the tree and they smell like real Christmas trees. I'm surprised how much I like them and you can smell them right when you walk in my apartment. Now if you ever end up in a situation where you have to get a fake tree there's a solution! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I'd imagine that once we move into a house we will eventually transition to a fake tree. Getting one that is pre-lit and not having to string lights would be kind of amazing!

      Delete