Friday, September 7, 2012

Red Beans & Rice and Mexican Cornbread

Austin’s friend Scott is temporarily moving to New York this weekend for a med school externship.  I’m not really sure exactly what that is, but we will miss him in Dallas!  He came over last night for supper, and seeing as how I did not get home until seven o’clock, I was so glad I had thrown together my red beans in the crock pot yesterday morning. 

IMG_0756

Red beans and rice is in my top five favorite meals, easily.  I cannot bring myself to make it in the summer, but clearly the week after Labor Day is fair game!  This is one of the easiest things ever to fix, it makes a ton of food, and the leftovers just get better the longer they sit.  You just chop everything up, dump it in the crock-pot, cover it with water, leave and go to work, then come home to deliciousness.

IMG_0757

IMG_0759

IMG_0761

IMG_0765

I like to top it with some raw onion, cheddar cheese, and a few shakes of Tabasco.  The very best thing to accompany the RB&R is Mexican cornbread. 

IMG_0763

IMG_0762

Below are the recipes for both dishes.  Recipes are both from my Mom, and I have no idea where they are from before that.  

Red Beans & Rice

  • 1 package red kidney beans, soaked overnight
  • 1 link sausage (I use Hillshire Farm all beef), chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Tony’s, salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste

Soak beans overnight in crock-pot.  In the morning, rinse the beans and put them back in the crock-pot.  Add all other ingredients to crock-pot and cover with water.  Cook all day (I leave my crock-pot on low all day).  Serve over white rice with chopped onion and shredded cheese. 

Mexican Cornbread

  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup cream style corn
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 lb sharp cheese, shredded
  • 1 jalapeno with seeds removed, chopped (can use the kind in a jar)
  • 1/2 c oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Put the oil in a cast iron skillet in the oven at 425.  Let it get hot while mixing everything else together.  Pour the hot oil into the mixing bowl after everything else is mixed then put everything back in the skillet and bake until brown on top.  In my oven, this takes about 30 minutes. 

1 comment: