Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Homemade Applesauce Granola

Meet my new favorite breakfast!  I made some of this granola last night and could hardly wait to enjoy it for breakfast this morning.  If you are a granola fan like me, this is a recipe you should try.  An added bonus -your house will smell so good while it is cooking!

IMG_0496

Homemade Applesauce Granola (recipe from Fake Ginger via Pinterest)

Ingredients:

  • 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds)
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • ¼ cup sesame seeds (I omitted these)
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup raisins (I omitted these)

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 300.
  2. Mix together oats, nuts, seeds, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
  3. In a small saucepan, warm applesauce with the honey and oil (low heat).
  4. Mix the applesauce mixture with the oat mixture and stir to coat.
  5. Spread the mixture onto a 9x13 baking pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until granola is deep brown. Remove from oven and stir in raisins (if you are adding them).
  6. Let cool completely before enjoying.

This is a great base recipe for granola – thanks again Pinterest!  It could definitely be customized and changed/added to in so many ways.  I am kicking myself for never making my own granola until now seeing as how it is so simple and so delicious (and how buying it at the store is so expensive!).

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this looks delicious! It looks like it would be so yummy with yogurt. I might just have to try to make some here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awesome with yogurt this morning!

    ReplyDelete