Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Colorful Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

IMG_0153

I made these stuffed bell peppers on Saturday night.  I have never been a fan of stuffed bells, but Austin likes them, so when I saw this recipe in Real Simple a few months ago, I decided to give it a shot.  Well, I am definitely a convert.  These were so good and so very easy!  I made a few modifications to the original recipe which can be found here (I used ground turkey instead of ground beef and brown rice instead of white rice). 

I was eating the filling with a spoon while I was putting these together – delish. 

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers (from Real Simple magazine)

1 cup rice (white or brown)

1 tablespoon olive oil

6 green onions, sliced (white and green parts separated)

1/2 lb ground beef (or turkey!)

1 cup frozen corn

1 4.5 oz can chopped green chilies

1 teaspoon cumin

4 oz grated cheese (1 cup)  - recipe calls for Monterey Jack but I used a mix of cheddar and gruyere

salt and pepper

4 large bell peppers, halved with ribs and seeds removed (I only used three and just had a little bit of leftover filling which was great on top of a salad the next day!)

salsa and sour cream for serving

Cook rice according to package directions and heat oven to 375.  Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat.  Add scallion whites and ground beef or turkey.  Cook meat until no longer pink (3-5 minutes).  Stir in corn, chilies, cumin, cooked, rice, 1/2 of the cheese, and a little bit of salt and pepper.  Arrange the bell peppers, cut side up, in a 9x13 baking dish or pan.  Divide filling among the peppers and add 1/2 cup water to the dish.  Cover tightly with foil and bake until peppers are soft – about 30 to 40 minutes.  Uncover, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake about 5 to 7 more minutes.  Serve topped with salsa and sour cream.

Have a happy Wednesday friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment