Monday, March 12, 2012

Sunday Supper: Homemade Spaghetti & Meatballs

Ever since I have started working and Austin has been working super long hours, I have discovered that Sunday night is a good night for me to cook a big meal.  Then, we get to enjoy leftovers all week!  Win-win.  Yesterday I made my Mom’s homemade meatballs and spaghetti sauce, and we enjoyed it over whole wheat pasta. 

IMG_0018

From my {Mom’s} kitchen to yours, the greatest spaghetti and meatballs recipe ever:

Meatballs:

  • 1 pound ground round
  • 1/4 cup parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients and shape into balls.  Bake on a foil-lined cookie sheet at 350 until brown. 

Sauce:

  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • 1/3 cup diced onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 6-oz cans tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 3 tablespoons parsley
  • 1 tablespoon basil
  • 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
  • I usually fill up one of the empty tomato paste cans with water and add that to the sauce to thin it out a little bit – pasta water would work too. 

Sauté onion, garlic, and celery in oil.  Add other ingredients.  Add browned meatballs and let simmer at least one hour. 

Yum!  I just enjoyed a big bowl of leftovers.  Now off to watch the Bachelor.  I am afraid ole Ben is headed for heartbreak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment