Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Job Hunt

Lately, everything in my life seems to circle back around to one thing: I don't have a job. I can twist any thought, situation, quote, or sermon into a reminder of my jobless state. It has been dominating my thoughts ever since I found out I passed the bar and stopped worrying about whether I had passed or not.... on to the next worry. But is that really a way to live a fulfilling life? I don't think so.

It is so very easy for me to live each day only focusing on what I've got to check off my list next. I will allow my mind to be consumed with one worry, then God, as usual, will take that worry from me, but I stubbornly replace it with another. (could I possibly work another comma into that sentence?!) Example: graduated law school in May --> worried about taking the bar exam --> took the bar exam --> worried about passing the bar exam --> passed the bar exam --> worry about finding a job. I am extremely blessed and thankful to have the temporary employment that I do have right now, and I am certain these opportunities are God's way of providing for me right now. But wow, it is pretty humbling to be babysitting and working as a student worker with a J.D. and a bar license.

Recently during my quiet times, discipline and patience have been jumping out at me. I randomly saved the notes from a Sunday School lesson in Jackson inspired by John McArthur's study on God's discipline. This is what I wrote down:

4 purposes of God's discipline in our lives:
1. retribution: unconfessed sin that needs to be dealt with
2. prevention: to keep us humble, focused, and dependent on Him
3. education: testing of our faith so we can learn more about our faith and our God (James 1)
4. anticipation: loosened from our worldly attachments so that we will long for heaven and become more eternity-focused

It is safe to say that I am being disciplined! Every single one of these hits home for me right now - especially numbers two and three. I am being humbled as I never have and also learning more about faith than I think I ever have. I know I serve a faithful God who has a perfect plan. I am thankful for this discipline and hope that I will be open to whatever it is He is trying to teach me. Now that I think about it, it is probably not so "random" that I saved the notes from that lesson...

There is so much more I could say about this topic, but this post is already pretty deep. These verses in particular have been such an encouragement to me recently:

"To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God in you I trust, do not let me be ashamed, do not let my enemies exult over me. Indeed, none of those who wait for you will be ashamed... Make me know your ways O Lord, teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day." Psalm 25:1-5

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered." Mark 11:22

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him." James 1:2-5

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! This was exactly what I needed to hear! I'm in my first semester of grad school and have been searching for a part time job since I graduated from A&M in May and can't find anything!! I thought I would be able to find something immediately since I have a college degree but that isn't the case. Right now I would be grateful for any type of income. It's so funny how God tells us exactly what we need to hear when we least expect!

    Good luck on your job hunt :)

    ReplyDelete