Saturday, December 31, 2011

Fifty Nifty United States

Anyone else know that song? I am humming the tune in my head right now...

Probably the number one thing on my life bucket list is to visit all fifty states. After I saw this cool map on this blog, I just had to make one for myself. I am definitely a map lover, thanks to my Daddy.


visited 34 states (68%)
Create your own visited map of The United States or another interesting project

I am so thankful for the vacations that I have been on with my family thus far in my life. Although I didn't always appreciate our travels at the time, my family has been on some pretty amazing trips and has seen so much of the beauty our country has to offer.

We did one two week road trip when my youngest sister was only 1 where we traveled from Louisiana, across Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, saw the Grand Canyon and the 4 corners, drove up through Nevada, went to Death Valley, went over into California, saw the Grand Tetons, all the way up the CA coast, up the Oregon Coast, up into Washington to see family in the Seattle area, over and through Idaho and Montana, down into Colorado and Wyoming, to Yellowstone, and finally back through Texas to home sweet home in Louisiana. That would surely be my longest run-on sentence ever and my longest vacation ever!

Another trip took us all the way up the Mississippi River to it's start in Minnesota and then all the way back down. Highlights of this trip included the famous Arch in St. Louis, walking across the start of the mighty Mississippi, lots of corn fields in Iowa, and my Dad's refusal to stop at the Mall of America. Don't worry, my sisters and I have still never let him live this one down.

We have seen Mount Rushmore alongside thousands of motorcycle riders in Sturgis, SD, been to places mentioned in our favorite Laura Ingalls Wilder books, explored the Smoky Mountains, and so much more. We have also visited our fair share of Civil War battleground memorials thanks to Dad the history buff.

I am so so so thankful that my parents loaded us up and took us on all of these adventures. I am so glad we did not just go to the same beach ever year and settle for only seeing one tiny corner of our country over and over again. While I do love me some Florida beaches, I can appreciate all of the other forms of beauty the good ol U.S. of A. has to offer as well.

34 down, 16 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment