Tuesday, November 29, 2011

For Your Holiday Hostess

Today I am linking up with Monograms and Manicures for her Holiday Gift Idea Link Up. 

I have been meaning to post about this hostess gift idea ever since I started my blog, and I can't believe it has taken me this long to do it! 

I got married in May of this year, and my mom and I wanted to do something unique and something that would not break the bank for the hostesses of my showers.  Hostess gifts can so quickly get out of hand and really add up during the holiday season (and during pre-wedding festivities!).  We came up with a hostess gift that was SO easy, relatively inexpensive, and pretty cute, if I do say so myself.  This would also be great for teachers or anyone else that you might want to give a small gift to during the holiday season.   


You will need:
  • Honey Caramel Sauce (recipe below)
  • small mason jars (mine are from Walmart)
  • fabric of your choice cut into squares with pinking shears (the fabric is a great pop of color and could easily give this a Christmas-y feel)
  • small bundt cakes (we made ours in pan similar to the one below)
  • scrapbook paper/stamps for the tag - My love of birds was a big part of my wedding, so I used a nest stamp on the tag, but again, you could use any number of holiday stamps to give this a festive feel.  I used scrapbook paper that matched my fabric and just cut out two circles, one slightly larger than the other, to make a tag.  
  • small honey dippers- a fun touch for drizzling the sauce (ours were ordered from here)
  • thin twine to tie the honey dipper onto the package
  • cellophane bags (from Hobby Lobby or Walmart) - I used a smaller bag for just the cake and a larger bag for the whole thing then tied the tops of both bags together with the ribbon. 
  • ribbon to tie it all up - another chance for a pop of color!
Honey Caramel Sauce: (from Tasty Kitchen member Sally Darling)
1/2 c honey
1 stick butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix first 3 ingredients together in a saucepan over medium-high heat while stirring constantly.  Bring to a rolling bubbling boil, and maintain for 2 minutes while stirring constantly.  Add sweetened condensed milk and continue stirring until mixed through. 

 
Store in the refrigerator!
One recipe makes 3 smallish jars of sauce, and it is very easy to double, triple, etc. 


We gifted the sauce with a baby bundt cake, but it is also delicious with apples or pears or as a sauce for ice cream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment